Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Confession and Some Romney Review

I couldn’t have asked for a better time to be enrolled in a public affairs reporting journalism class. With the upcoming presidential elections, there is so much information to absorb and report regarding candidates, debates and issues. This blog serves as my attempt to closely follow and document the 2008 campaign and, along the way, defy the stereotypes associated with my generation that claim that most of us are tech-savvy, uninformed and politically disinclined members of the fondly dubbed “Gen Y.”

As an assignment for my capstone journalism class, I have been asked to write a blog detailing Mitt Romney’s political campaign for the 2008 presidential elections. Because I attend a conservative university and grew up in an equally right-winged town, I am partial to Republican ideals but I don’t align myself with either party. I’m more interested in the specific presidential contenders, not the parties they represent. I’m excited to explore the ideals and values upheld (or not upheld) by this specific candidate, and, while I’m to remain unbiased in my writings, to explore his political platform along with his competitors so that I can make an informed choice come November.

Enough about me; on to the good stuff. Mitt Romney, as I’m sure the politically savvy know, is a Republican candidate who calls both Michigan and Massachusetts home. Originally a businessman, Romney was the former CEO of management consulting firm Bain & Company. Before he was elected governor of Massachusetts in 2002, Romney served as the CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. Now he’s moved on to bigger and better things by seeking election to the White House.
Romney’s political views are consistent with stereotypical Republican values. He is pro-life, against gay marriage, pro-Iraq, pro-death penalty and anti-estate tax, amongst others. His voting record indicates his alliance to the GOP, minus a costly mistake when in August 2007 he supported an abortion law despite claiming to be against it.

The test of Romney’s character came with the Iowa Caucus, the first real assessment of how his campaigning strategy was working (or not working) thus far. Romney took second as Republican hopeful Mike Huckabee won easily over the rest of the candidates. Romney earned 12% more votes than third-place candidate John McCain. He also took second in New Hampshire, this time behind McCain, who essentially switched places with Huckabee. Romney won voters’ hearts in Wyoming, though, and the combination of the victory and his two second-place awards put him at the top of the Republican scorecard with 30 total delegates.

Primary season continues to be jam-packed, with the next big vote coming up in Michigan. Romney’s supporters hope his hometown and familial ties (he is the son of former Michigan Governor George W. Romney) will give him favor and the edge he needs to win (and avoid a third loss) on Jan. 15.

No comments: